Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Congrats, Roy!

I went to K-State and we were supposed to hate KU. I never really hated KU's basketball team as much as I hated their fans; at least a good chunk of the Johnson County variety. KU fans, spoiled for so long by a strong basketball team, just had a sense of entitlement and superiority, particularly towards K-State, that it was disgusting. Every anti-KSU joke coming out of the mouth of a KU fan was likely to have condescending class connotations: joking about the ignorance, uncleanliness and ruralness of K-State. At my high school, with quite a few exceptions (if you're reading this, you, of course, are one of those exceptions), you could go right down the line and the people who went to KU were the stuck-up snobs and cocky jocks and the people who went to K-State were much more tolerable. So I hated elitist KU fans so much I just couldn't bear to root for KU basketball even though I always liked the way they played and liked Roy Williams.

Oh, but times have changed! As soon as Roy left for UNC, he became the devil in the mind's of KU fans. So today I get the joy of both being happy to see Roy William's succeed finally and seeing KU fans be miserable because of it. So nice.