Friday, March 04, 2005

I'm turning Minnesoootan

So yesterday, on campus, I bumped into an old friend who just so happens to be an undergrad at the U of M but also went to my high school in Kansas. I hadn't talked to her in about three years, but in our quick, two minute conversation, we both sounded soooo Minnesoootan. The "ya's" and "oh's" were all over the place and we couldn't help it. I don't know if she noticed, but I laughed to myself about it for like the next ten minutes.

Honestly, (honestly!), I blame her: I don't do Minnesotan that much when I talk to non-Minnesotans, but I mimic it big time when I talk to others who do it. So when she was like, "Sooo, yea, yea, yea, soooo, ooooh," I pick it right up myself.

I couldn't help but wonder how context-specific it was, too. If I met up with her in Kansas, would we still speak Minnesotan to each other? My guess? You betcha!