Monday, May 23, 2005

Slowly but Surely...

...I'm making the move away from blogger. I've got what will hopefully be good, cheap web hosting, I've got my own domain (blog2eleven.com), and I'm gradually building my own WordPress blog that will have all of my posts, past and present, in one place.

This will be the third blog I've been through in just under two years - the first year or so with iBlog, and the last year with blogger. On some message board once I saw somebody describe blogger as "blogging with training wheels." Well, if we stick with the metaphor, iBlog is a big wheel. It's just fine if you want a) a Mac-centric blogging app and b) you never want to upgrade to a grown-up blog, but it just sucks otherwise. It doesn't deal in HTML is the main problem. It saves everything as rich-text files and then converts to HTML when publishing, which results in really messy code.

After reading over some of the old blog posts though, I realized I put way more work into it to just throw them away, so I spent all day today slowly cleaning up the code so that it would work with Wordpress. And I finished! So now all I've got to do is import the blogger postings (which should be much easier), do some last minute template tweaking and wait for my new domain's DNS to "propagate" the web. Then the training wheels are off for good!