Monday, April 18, 2005

U.S. News Rankings and KU

KU law school fell 37 spots in the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings. The rankings are pure crap, by the way. I don't think they really indicate much at all about how good a school is. However, people seem to care about them a lot for some reason. (Which makes me wonder what happened with my program this year...anyone know? I'm too cheap to go buy the damn issue just to check.)

Anyway, for some reason I found this article on KU law school and there are quotes from the law school's dean, Stephen McAllister. I knew who he was. Why? Because he made national news in 2004 for a conflict-of-interest scandal involving Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. McAllister arranged a hunting trip with Scalia and then argued, and won, a case in front of the Supreme Court, including Scalia. My point? With the exception of two friends of mine going to KU's law school, this is all I knew about KU's law school. It's probably all a lot of people know about it - particular the law profs and deans who fill out the surveys on school reputation that the rankings are based on. Might it have tarnished, even a little, the reputation of the school?